Criminal Defense Attorney Margaret Strickland
Margaret Strickland is a skilled criminal defense attorney who believes in the rights of the accused, and uses her knowledge of the law to defend them. She has represented the accused in more than 70 criminal jury trials, and in high profile cases. Ms. Strickland also represents individuals who have been injured as a result of another’s wrongdoing.
After graduating from New York University School of Law, one of the top law schools in the country, she began working as a criminal defense attorney.
Civil rights attorney Margaret Strickland recently received a 7-figure verdict against two Las Cruces Police Officers for excessive force, battery and unlawful arrest. She and her law partner Mollie McGraw represented the married couple in the civil rights case that was tried in U.S. Federal Court in Las Cruces. The federal jury found the defendants were liable and awarded $1.6 million. Click here to read the press release.
Ms. Strickland has successfully tried and worked on a multitude of criminal cases including everything from DWI/DUI to complex white collar cases, sex crimes, and homicides. While working in criminal defense she has become an active member of the New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (NMCDLA) and currently serves on the board as President-elect.”
Strickland was raised in El Paso, Texas, and attended the University of Texas at El Paso where she received a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics. Ms. Strickland is fluent in Spanish. The U.S. Federal Government and the Mexican Consulate contract with Ms. Strickland to represent individuals accused of felony-level offenses in the U.S.
“Margaret was the criminal defense lawyer for my brother. She was always available and she believed in my brother. Margaret treated my brother with dignity and respect. Margaret’s professionalism, knowledge and compassion is second to none. I would recommend her to anyone needing a good lawyer.”
—Dave, New Mexico »Read more testimonials
- New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (NMCDLA), board member, 2010-present; President-Elect, 2015
- Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (NMCDLA), Treasurer, 2010-present
- New Mexico State Bar Association, 2007-present; Regional Director, 2010-2011
- ACTion Program for Animals, Board Member
- Alternative Discovery Methods, New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Annual DWI Seminar Fall 2013
- Witness Interview Logistics, New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Continuing Legal Education Summer 2013
- Advanced Cross Examination, NMCDLA CLE, Albuquerque 2010
- Cross Examination of the Pseudo-Expert, NMCDLA CLE, Las Cruces Summer 2009
- Drug Courts and Mental Health Courts, NMCDLA CLE 2009
- Search and Seizure in New Mexico, NMCDLA CLE, Las Cruces Summer 2008
- “Lobbying for Criminal Law”, NMCLDA 2014
- Drug Courts, published in “For The Defense” by the NMCDLA, 2009