Civil rights are those rights that you have as a result of the U.S. Constitution, federal laws, a New Mexico’s constitution, or state laws.
Your civil rights include:
- Your right to free speech,
- Your right to assemble,
- Your right to freedom of religion,
- Your right to vote,
- Your right to be free from excessive force (which includes wrongful use of lethal force) by law enforcement,
- Your right to be free from wrongful arrest by law enforcement,
- Your right not to be discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, gender, disability, or age.
Some specific federal laws that grant you civil rights include the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Civil rights attorney Margaret Strickland recently received a 7-figure verdict against two Las Cruces Police Officers for excessive force, battery and unlawful arrest. She and her law partner Mollie McGraw represented the married couple in the civil rights case that was tried in U.S. Federal Court in Las Cruces. The federal jury found the defendants were liable and awarded $1.6 million. Click here to read the press release.
Every person in the United States is guaranteed his or her civil rights will not be violated by government, including most importantly law enforcement officials and detention centers/prisons.
Other government entities that sometimes engage in civil rights violations are schools, hospitals, the department of transportation, and mental health institutions.
In addition to protection from the government, civil rights laws also protect people from their employers, including sexual harassment, retaliation, and discrimination.
Nobody should ignore a violation of his or her civil rights.
McGraw & Strickland feel it’s a priority to protect everyone’s civil rights from abuse.
Our civil rights and discrimination practice includes:
- Employment discrimination
- First amendment and free speech
- Police misconduct and abuse
- Racial profiling
- Religion discrimination
- Women’s rights
- Physical and sexual abuse of children
- Physical and sexual abuse of inmates by guards
Contact us today to speak with an attorney about your case.