Are You Under Criminal Investigation?
One of the most important times in a case is the investigation. Things will be done and not done during the investigation that have lasting and frequently unchangeable consequences.
The Supreme Court has found a person has the right to have a criminal defense attorney during the investigation stage of a case. Call our Las Cruces criminal defense attorneys at McGraw & Strickland, LLC at 575-523-4321 to learn more.
Having an attorney is important for several reasons:
- An attorney can ensure an accurate investigation.
- An attorney can help you prepare for law enforcement questioning.
- An attorney can ensure all of your rights are protected.
- An attorney can ensure that any arrest is done properly and that any bond is set as low as possible.
The Attorney’s Role In The Investigation
A defense lawyer can help make sure that things are done correctly during an investigation and that all relevant evidence is gathered. This can include evidence that must be collected immediately or is lost such as gunshot residue testing, DNA testing and fingerprint gathering.
The Attorney’s Role In Questioning
If you have been contacted by law enforcement regarding a case investigation, you need to speak to an attorney right away — and most importantly before speaking to any law enforcement.
It is almost never a good idea to give any information about an investigation without the advice of an attorney.
You need an attorney because:
- Law enforcement officials can legally lie to you during investigation.
- Law enforcement frequently withholds information from people they are questioning, including information that you are in fact suspected of a crime.
- Law enforcement routinely uses techniques that have resulted in false confessions or incriminating statements.
- Everything you say will be scrutinized at a level that most people are not used to. Simple mistakes or inaccuracies can be used to make you look dishonest.
- Not only can anything you say be used against you, it can be distorted by the law enforcement and used against you.
Las Cruces Criminal Defense Attorneys
The lawyers at McGraw & Strickland, LLC, have prevented many of their clients from wrongful arrests and indictments by working during the investigation stage. Call us today for a consultation: 575-523-4321. You may also contact us online.