Las Cruces Car Accident Attorneys
Car Accidents Are More Common than You Think
No one expects to get in a car accident, but even the safest, most cautious driver cannot avoid car accidents especially with other drivers’ texting, speeding or otherwise driving recklessly.
In 2012 there were 372 fatalities reported in New Mexico with 28 of those deaths occurring in Dona Ana County. More than 46% of the individuals killed in Dona Ana County in vehicle collisions in 2012 were not wearing their seatbelts. More than 21% of the traffic-related deaths in Dona Ana County involved alcohol. The good news is that the number of people killed in crashes in New Mexico has decreased 25% since 2001, but the traffic fatality rate in New Mexico is still higher than the national average.
Young men and women, age 20-24, were the most likely age group to be involved in a vehicle crash in 2011 in Las Cruces.
On average in New Mexico in 2010…
- A motor vehicle crash occurred every 12 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 30 minutes.
- A distracted driver crash occurred every hour.
- An alcohol-involved crash occurred every 4 hours.
- A person was killed or injured in an alcohol-involved crash every 5 hours.
- A semi/large truck was in a crash every 6 hours.
- A motorcycle was involved in a crash every 7 hours.
- A bicyclist was hit by a vehicle every 24 hours.
- A pedestrian was hit by a vehicle every 24 hours.
- A person was killed in a crash every 24 hours.
|Top contributing factors to crashes:||Top contributing factors to fatalities:|
|Driver inattention (24%)
Failure to yield (14%)
Following too closely (12%)
Driver inattention (12%)
Excessive speed (10%)
Do You Know What to Do When You’ve Been in an Accident?
Even if you’re not seriously injured, an auto accident can be a traumatic event. When you’re in shock, it’s hard to remember what you should do to protect yourself legally.
In the event of an accident there are several things to remember:
- Call 911.
- Request medical help if there are any injuries.
- Move to a safe location if you or your car is creating a safety hazard or if you’re concerned for your safety.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident until authorized by police to do so.
- Do not discuss who is at fault with other parties. Only discuss the accident with police.
- Collect as much information as you can about the other drivers.
- Provide the police with your driver’s license and insurance information.
The Law Firm of McGraw & Strickland Can Help You
The lawyers at McGraw & Strickland hope you never need an attorney but if you do, you need to hire a lawyer that will do everything possible to get you the compensation you deserve.
When you are injured in a car, motorcycle or truck accident, you can be out of work for weeks, possibly even months. It’s an unfortunate fact but insurance companies make more money when they can deny a claim. If you say the wrong thing at the wrong time, you may lose your right to make a claim. You also have a limited time to make a legal claim. You need an auto accident lawyer who knows the laws in New Mexico; a lawyer who will everything possible to help you recover as much money as possible under the law.
The personal injury attorneys at McGraw & Strickland are experienced trial attorneys. We understand the profound effect such accidents can have both on the injured person and their family. We realize that many times people are unable to work, unable to pay their bills and have trouble dealing with insurance companies because of auto accident injuries. We can answer your questions and work with insurance companies and their attorneys to obtain compensation for your injuries and missed work. Our personal injury attorneys have an excellent track record of obtaining fair compensation for clients who have been injured through no fault of their own.
There are two primary sources of recovery for injuries suffered in car accidents in New Mexico: liability insurance and uninsured motorist / underinsured motorist coverage. Even if the at-fault driver does not have adequate insurance, we may still be able to help obtain compensation for you.
If you or a family member have been injured in a car accident, the hard-working and compassionate attorneys at McGraw & Strickland can help. We are committed to meeting the needs of our clients. Call us today.
Statistics and Graphs:
Source: New Mexico Department of Transportation Office of Programs Traffic Safety Division, Published February, 2013 Revised June, 2013 Available online at dgr.unm.edu