Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Mollie McGraw is an experienced trial attorney who represents Plaintiffs in civil litigation, including personal injury, civil rights, victims of crime and inadequate security cases, insurance bad faith and pharmaceutical negligence. McGraw practices in state and federal courts in New Mexico on behalf of civil plaintiffs. She has litigated more than 30 civil and criminal jury trials.
Ms. McGraw is an active member of the New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association (“NMTLA”). She served as the President of the NMTLA from 2021 to 2022. During her presidency, the New Mexico legislature substantially modified the New Mexico Medical Malpractice Act to protect patients harmed by medical negligence and provide for greater accountability. In addition, the New Mexico Civil Rights Act was passed granting victims the right to pursue the civil rights granted in New Mexico’s State Constitution in its state courts, without the defense of qualified immunity.
McGraw is driven by the pursuit of justice for individuals who have been injured or killed by the wrongdoing of a corporation, the government or an insurance company. She works diligently on behalf of her clients to expose misconduct and to make wrongdoers pay for the damages they have caused. She enjoys working closely with her clients, and developing client relationships based on trust and advocacy. She takes great satisfaction in investigating and uncovering crucial evidence that supports her clients’ claims. Colleagues, judges and jurors have commented on her passion, tenacity, fearlessness and quality of work.
In 2017, McGraw and her former law partner, Margaret Strickland, obtained a $1.6 million verdict in Beck v. Baker for their clients from a Las Cruces federal jury in a civil rights lawsuit against two Las Cruces Police Department officers for excessive force, battery and unlawful arrest. In 2015, McGraw became one of the few attorneys in New Mexico to achieve an 8-figure verdict ($12 million) for her clients in a wrongful death, inadequate security case in Murphy et al v. Eagle’s Nest Condominium Association et al. In 2009, McGraw argued before the New Mexico Supreme Court to protect the rights of her client and others.
In 2007, McGraw was the recipient of the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award from the New Mexico State Public Defender Department. She is a partner in McGraw & Strickland LLC, a law firm she and Margaret Strickland formed in 2011.
McGraw volunteers her time to benefit Emerge New Mexico, an organization dedicated to increasing the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office. She also serves on the Editorial Advisory Board for Trial Guides, a publishing company that publishes books and educational materials to help civil plaintiff’s lawyers. She graduated from Baylor Law School and has a Bachelor’s of Science degree from Northwestern University, where she obtained dual majors in Journalism and American History. McGraw is licensed to practice law in New Mexico and Texas.
McGraw shares two young daughters with her husband, a retired police detective and educator. She enjoys spending her free time reading, hiking and exploring New Mexico’s beautiful outdoors with her family and two dogs.
Areas Of Practice
- Insurance Disputes
- Personal Injury
- Civil Rights
- Premises Liability
- Inadequate Security
- Medical Malpractice
- Car Crashes
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Plaintiff ’s Litigation
- State of Texas, 2006
- State of New Mexico, 2007
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas
- J.D. – 2006
- Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, Evanston, Illinois
- Bachelor of Science – 2001
- Dual Major: Journalism and American History
Honors And Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers – 2019, 2020, 2021. 2022
- Best Lawyers in America , 2018 – Present
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2013 – 2016
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, New Mexico Public Defender Department, 2007
- Order of Barristers, Baylor Law School, 2005
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40 (Nominated in 2012, 2013 and 2014 as one of the top 40 attorneys in New Mexico under age 40)
- Voted Best Lawyers’ Las Cruces Personal Injury Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2019
Professional Associations And Memberships
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association, President (2020-2021), Board of Directors, 2015 – Present
- American Association of Justice, Contributing Member, 2010 – Present, Council of Presidents member (2019-2022)
- Trial Guides’ Editorial Advisory Board , Board Member, 2014 – Present
- Emerge New Mexico, Committee Member, 2018 – Present
- New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Contributing Member, Presenter, 2008 – 2012
- American Constitutional Society
- New Mexico Wilderness Alliance
- American Civil Liberties Union, 2001 – Present
- State Bar of Texas, 2006 – Present (inactive status)
- State Bar of New Mexico, 2006 – Present
- The Hidden Consequences of a Misdemeanor Conviction, Fair Defense Project, ACLU of Texas, 2005
- Distribution, Utilization and Impact of the MinnesotaCare Provider Tax, Citizens’ Counsel on Health Care, 1999
- Gen X / Gen Y Jurors, NM Trial Lawyers Association, 2015
- The Art of Trial Objections, NM Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2012
- Expunging Your Criminal Record, Third Judicial District Court, NM, 2010 – 2011
- Leveling the Playing Field w Technology in Court, NM Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2011
Past Employment Positions
- McGraw & Strickland, LLC, 2011-2021
- The Pickett Law Firm, LLC, Attorney, 2008 – 2011
- New Mexico Public Defender Department, Felony Attorney, 2006 – 2007
Pro Bono Activities
- Dona Ana County Voter Protection, 2008-present
- Las Cruces Downtown Partnership, Board of Directors, 2012 – 2015
- Southern New Mexico Young Philanthropists, founding member and steering committee member, 2010